Packaging is the process of enclosing or protecting the drug for distribution, storage, sale, and medication. By using the material for the packaging of the drug to prepare a container and closure for holding of the drug.
Container: It is a device that holds the drug.
Closure: It is a device, by means of which containers can be opened, and closed.
Types of packaging
- Blister package
- Strip package
- Bubble package
- Sachet package
- Oral liquid dispensers
Qualities for selection of packaging material
- The material used for making the container must be non-toxic.
- The container must be neutral towards the material which is stored in it.
- The closure of the container must be easily removable and replaceable.
- The container must not interact physically or chemically with the substance which is holds.
- It should be so designed that a done can be drawn from it conveniently.
Types of containers
Containers are divided into the following 8 types on the basis of utility.
- Single dose Containers: These containers are used to supply only one dose of medicament. Ex: Ampoules and vials.
- Multidose Containers: These containers allow the withdrawal of doses at various intervals. These containers hold more than one dose and are used for injectables. Ex: vials.
- Light-resistant containers: These containers protect the medicament from the harmful effects of light and are used to store those medicaments which are photosensitive.
- Well-closed containers: These containers protect the contents from loss during transportation, handling, storage, or sale.
- Air-tight container: Also called hermetic container. These containers protect the products from dust, moisture, and air. These containers have air-tight sealing or closing, used for injectibles and other products storage.
- Tightly closed container: These containers protect the contents from contamination by liquids, solids, or vapors from loss or deterioration of the material from effervescence, deliquescence, or evaporation under normal conditions of handling storage and distribution.
- Temper-evidence Containers: These containers are fitted with a device or mechanism that reveals irreversibly whether the container has been opened.
- Aerosol Container: These containers are used to hold aerosol products.
List out the various materials used for making containers and closures
Making of container:
- Paper and Board
Making of closure: