The solution is a liquid oral dosage form, administrated through the oral route. It is a homogenous, clear liquid. One (or) more ingredients are dissolved in a suitable solvent to make a dosage form. The solution is a combination of solute and solvent.
Solute: Which is dissolved in the medium present “small quantity”.
Solvent: This is a dissolving medium, present quantity comparative with solute.
Examples: Mixtures, linctuses, draughts, elixirs, syrups, drops.
Define syrup, describe the preparation of syrup
The syrup is a liquid oral dosage form, a saturated solution of sucrose in purified water is called “syrup” the concentration of sucrose is 66.7% w/w in 100ml of purified water. These are sweet, viscous preparation.
Types of syrup
- A medical substance containing syrup is called medicated syrup.
- A flavoring substance containing syrup is called flavored syrup.
Preparation of syrup
- By single solution: Syrup prepared by adding a simple solution. Eg: Syrup ginger, syrup orange, syrup lemon, etc.
- Process & Preparation: Add sucrose to purified water and heat it to dissolve sucrose with stirring. Cool it, and add more (or) remaining purified water to make the final volume.
- By process of extraction: Add balsam to boiling purified water stir frequently, add purified water to make final volume, cool, and filter it. Add sucrose, and heat on a water bath. Finally, add purified water to make the final volume. Eg: Antibiotics. Anti histamines, Anti histamine.
Define elixir, describe the preparation of an elixir
Elixirs are liquid oral dosage forms. These are clear, sweetened, aromatic, hydro-alcoholic liquids intended for oral use. Elixirs contain ethyl alcohol, water, glycerin, (or) propylene glycol, a flavoring agent, and preservative.
These are categorized to :
- Medicated Elixir: Contain potent drug.
- Flavored Elixir: Contain flavors, not contain medicated substances.
Method of preparation of an elixir
Elixirs are prepared by dissolving the ingredients in a suitable vehicle with continuous stirring. Adjust the volume with the above vehicle, allow the elixir for some time, and add talc (3%) for absorbing excess oil. Filter it, and transfer it into the final container.
Also read: Soft gelatin capsule