1.DDT( DICHLORO DIPHENYL TRICHLORO ETHANE)
Structure of DDT:
The actual name of the DDT is 2,2 bis (4-chlorophenyl)-1,1,1trichloroethane.
Molecular formula is C14H9Cl5.
Properties of DDT: it is a colourless, crystalline, tasteless and odourless organochlorine. It is nearly insoluble in water but it soluble in organic solvents like fat and oil.
preparation: DDT is prepared by heating chlorobenzene with chloral in presence of conc. H2SO4.
- It is a powerful insecticide.
- It is used to kill mosquito(specialy Anopheles mosquito)and other insects.
Side effects: It is toxic to human beings and mammals and its non-biodegradable.
2. BHC(BENZENE HEXACHLORIDE)
BHC also known as ( IUPAC Name) 1,2,3,4,5,6- hexachlorocyclohexane.
Molecular formula: C6Cl6.
properties: it is a white crystalline solid, insoluble in water but variable soluble in organic solvent, mostly soluble in halogenated solvents like chloroform.
preparation: it is prepared by chlorination of benzene in the presence of UV light.
- BHC it’s mainly used as pesticide in agriculture.
- It is used to treat food crops and to forestry products, as a seed treatment, soil treatment.
- It has also been used as pharmaceutical treatments for lice and scabies.
- it is used to produce shampoo and lotions.
side effects: it is an animal and human carcinogen. It is used as fungicide it was found in all food types. It causes liver , kidney and thyroid cancer.
saccharin also known as 2-H, 2-Benzothiazol-1, 1,3-trione.(IUPAC NAME)
- uses: saccharin in is an artificial sweetener it is about 300-400 time as sweet as sucrose or table sugar. It is used to produce soft drink.
- It is used to produce soft drink, medicines and toothpaste.
- it has no nutritional value so it is safe for use diabetes patients.
Molecular Formula: NH2Cl,
properties: It is unstable colourless liquid and its melting point is 66 degree Celsius. It is readily soluble in water and ether but less soluble in chloroform and carbon tetrachloride.
- it is used as disinfectant for water.
- it is also used as swimming pool disinfectant.
- it is used to improve odour and flavour of water.