The compounds in solid, liquid or gaseous states having carbon in their molecule are known as organic compounds.
- Inorganic compounds, one or more atoms of carbon are covalently linked to atoms of other elements most commonly H, O, or N.
- carbon is the main element in organic compounds.
- Organic compounds that contain only hydrogen and carbon are called hydrocarbons.
Classification of organic compounds:
- Acyclic (open chain)
- Cyclic(closed chain)
- Homocyclic compounds
- Alicyclic compounds
- Aromatic compounds
- Benzenoid compound
- Non-Benzenoid compound
These compounds are also known as aliphatic compounds as they have branched or straight chains.
- In this carbon atoms are connected to each other in a ring Ex:
- This are special type of organic compound which contains benzene and other related compound Ex:
- Organic compounds having one or more heteroatom in their nucleus are known as heterocyclic compounds Ex:
Also, check another amazing article on : Nomenclature of Organic compounds